Thread: Virginia Governor almost pulled a fastball on guns

Default Virginia Governor almost pulled a fastball on guns

I know this is a touchy debate among many, and an emotional one among others, but some of the ideas that the governor was pushing for were outrageous. Lot of people playing up the fears and boogie man angles - but trying to ramrod bad legislation does nothing but destroy rights of law abiding gun owners.

But this battle wont end, gotta keep the pressure on them

I literally have no idea how some people thought these proposed laws would help stop any crime, they use the VA Beach shootings as examples but I look at it and say that they could have defended themselves if they had a right to carry.

It doesn't matter if the new laws don't stop any of these crimes, it only matters that they are doing SOMETHING.

I might be in favor of some new regulations, but I haven't seen any proposals that would have made a difference. They only restrict law abiding citizens, and their ability to defend themselves.

I would be in favor of a background check similar to what is required for a concealed carry permit. But, you should then be able to show your permit as proof that you have passed, and purchase a firearm without any additional background checks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post
    It doesn't matter if the new laws don't stop any of these crimes, it only matters that they are doing SOMETHING.

I might be in favor of some new regulations, but I haven't seen any proposals that would have made a difference. They only restrict law abiding citizens, and their ability to defend themselves.

I would be in favor of a background check similar to what is required for a concealed carry permit. But, you should then be able to show your permit as proof that you have passed, and purchase a firearm without any additional background
    checks.

I can somewhat see the background check, but most of the criminal use of fire arms the guns were purchased illegally to begin with. The people who pop and go off the deep end would still be able to purchase one be ause they were stable to start with.
    Personally any more laws are just added to many of the ones that are not enforcing is just another foot on my 2nd amendment right. No my 2nd isn't above a persons life but with that right I feel safer with what I see going on in violent crime and from the way I see way too many people in our government heading. Believe me when I say this they are pushing this wayyyy harder than I feel comfortable with and that needs to. Especially when they are doing nothing to attack the real issues that start this and using divisional politics that could be used as fanning flames. then you have the media which is only showing 1 side of the argument or when they ask questions to people.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Personally i'd like to see either laws enforced or tougher penalties for crimes committed with guns...it's crazy to me that somebody can go to jail for 10-20 years or life for drug crimes but you can rob somebody with a gun or shoot somebody and get less time...any violent crime committed with a firearm should be a lifetime sentence imo...
    Make VAO Great again

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    Personally i'd like to see either laws enforced or tougher penalties for crimes committed with guns...it's crazy to me that somebody can go to jail for 10-20 years or life for drug crimes but you can rob somebody with a gun or shoot somebody and get less time...any violent crime committed with a firearm should be a lifetime sentence imo...
    Solidly agree

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    I agree with this as well as long as it's not being used against someone who is a law bidding citizen and used their gun to either defuse or stop the actual crime. I just read way too many things where someone is completely IMO in the right but ends up either spending time in jail or thousands to keep from being there.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner