Thread: Buggs Island Report 4/30-5/3

Default Buggs Island Report 4/30-5/3

Prefished Buggs 4/30 and 5/1 in preperation for the VaBass 6-man. The water level started at 302.5 and dropped to 301 by Sunday 5/3. I fished mostly from Eastland to Northbend. Spending the majority fo the time in Eastland. The water was clean and warm. Found willing fish on secondary points with the c-rig. Most plastics worked especially the brush hog, lizard (of course), and bigger fish came on the trick worm. Saturday I weighed in 7.7? and Sunday could not get bit? Only had one bite on the rig which jumped near the boat and came off before the net go tunder itBang Head. We got teamed up with a group from the Richmond area. I think Sandy Run club? The guys were a good bunch and a pleasure to fish with. Reports of the top finishers were c-rigs, and wacky worms fished on the north end of the lake.

This was the first time fishing out of my boat on this lake. I really like the lake. The damn trees and bushes look so good but the fish are not in them??? All my fish were caught 6-15ft deep. Would much rather pitch, flip, and spinnerbait all day in the bushes.

Back the Potomac this week!!!

JJ
    2010 VAO March Madness Big Bass

JERKIN JIMMY

Photobucket

Quite a few fish came out of the bushes on flukes Sunday. That pattern wasn't as strong Saturday. My boater weighed 10.28 Saturday pulling fish out of <3ft of water on a shakey head. One of the guys that made the state team rigged up 11lbs Saturday and used the fluke Sunday due to the rig bite slowing down for him.

There were fish in those bushes.

Default thanks centipede

for the update on the Sunday pattern. I tried fishing bushes in the afternoon after realizing they were onot going to eat the rig. Never tied on a fluke. I will know for next time.

JJ
    2010 VAO March Madness Big Bass

JERKIN JIMMY

Photobucket

It was a rough week for us Potomac river fisherman. rarely fished "THE RIG" till day one of the tournament. Noticed my boater was schoolin me on "THE RIG" compared to my football-head jig I was throwing. But once I put "THE RIG" on I never put it down. Caught a decent 2.13 largemouth (first fish on the rig ever) to give me my day one only fish.

Mainly fishing secondary points, where at I have no clue. Everything looked the same. Need to more time on Kerr I suppose.

Day 2 fished the rig all day. Caught a nice 3lber on "THE RIG" at the first main lake point we hit. My boater really wanted that one...lol We must have hit that point like 3 different times in the day and only caught a couple dinks off of it. My second fish came off of a floating dock where I had casted "THE RIG" to the side of it and worked it back to me, then all of a sudden I had felt some tension on my line so like I always do I just set the hook and in comes a 1lb 1/2oz. never felt him "thunk" it.

I was using a Strike King "Watermelon Candy" Rage Lizard on day one. Then on Day 2 a Strike King "Big Tex" Rage Lizard. Only had three left, so when they all got chewed up I ended the day with a Zoom "Cotton Candy/ Chartreuse" Lizard which had gotten me my third fish of the day.

Ended out day 1 with 2.13 and day 2 with 6.66.
    NOVA BASS will get'em next year......

I was in line for a bag when I heard that 6.66 weight called out. Thought that couldn't be good.

Luckily it wasn't the only 6.66 bag weighed. But I made it home safe and sound.