Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sidescan Technology

Default Sidescan Technology

Anyone using sidescan technology? I need to purchase a new fish finder and wanted to get your thoughts. What you like, what you don't like. I have been looking at the Humminbird GPS/Sonar models and trying to decide if I should just spend the extra money and get a sidescan? Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't have sidescan, but I did get a Lowrance HDS5 installed this past summer, and so far, I really like it. I'm not sure whether I will purchase the sidescan components that lowrance has come out with to add to the hd series, though.
    Jr.

I am sure that Squire will answer your question. He has one and it does show a lot of stuff you would otherwise miss.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Quote Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
    I am sure that Squire will answer your question. He has one and it does show a lot of stuff you would otherwise miss.
    First of all, get as big a screen as you can afford. When you are looking at a 100 yard swath of water (this is configurable), brushpiles or rocks/stumps look like just a few different colored pixels, so more pixels, more detail. Second, Humminbird is a nice unit, but what I have seen from the new Lowrance HD Sidescan (sidescan is a 600 dollar upgrade to a 2200 dollar unit), you can share the sensors with any screen on the boat if you network them. Nice feature, as if you are on the bow of the boat you can see the input to the screen in the drivers area (assume you have two FF's, but only 1 sidescan sensor) and know the brushpile is 40ft to the left because you can see it on the sidescan, you can make better casts to it. Sidescans have many views, so you can use it like a normal GPS/Depthfinder at speed, but it won't work for the humminbird going faster than 3-5mph, while the Lowrance perportedly will work till 15-20mph....

Sidescans are great for Lake Anna and on occasion, I have found them useful in the deeper grass (can see edges real well), and man, you can follow an old roadbed so easy, shows up crystal clear...

So, I run 3 FF's on my boat, sidescan by the driver and I explore alot, Lowrance X104C for GPS and normal FF, and a lowrance on the bow. I would "like to have" 2 of the big lowrance HD units with a networked sidescan.

If you fish structures or channels much you will luv the sidescan.....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thanks. Great information. I to was looking at the "new" Lowrance sidescan. Perhaps I should upgrade to the Lowrance HD unit and add the sidescan later. At the end of the day, my goal was to upgrade my drivers seat FF with a larger screen and GPS. By going with Lowrance I can add sidescan later. Squire - who do you have mount your FF and transducers (shoot thru hull)? Is there someone local to Anna that you would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by 3KidsLater View Post
    Thanks. Great information. I to was looking at the "new" Lowrance sidescan. Perhaps I should upgrade to the Lowrance HD unit and add the sidescan later. At the end of the day, my goal was to upgrade my drivers seat FF with a larger screen and GPS. By going with Lowrance I can add sidescan later. Squire - who do you have mount your FF and transducers (shoot thru hull)? Is there someone local to Anna that you would recommend?
    Sidescan transducers can't go "thru hull", so they mount on the rear of the boat (mine), or some do it on the trolling motor (JLawX). I like the concept of being able to switch FF's to the transducer you want (SC, non SC) and one I would recommend to anyone going "new". I will convert my boat to this at some point, as the new Lowrance HD units also get XM radio and XM weather and you get wind direction/speed overlays on the HD unit for example, which would be kool in the river.

My last unit was installed in the drivers side console by the guys at Mare of Aquia. They did a very good job, they charge time and materials basically (hour or 2). For large screen FF's on the driver, I like my system (I inherited as I bought my boat from Roland Martin), is a gimbel mount on the edge of the boat that you can push around and more importantly, easily dismount and take home so it is not stored in the weather or subject to easy theft.

hope this helps...
    cheers,
    Steve

Default Just purchased HB 997 on sale at GM, can not wait to install it...

Just purchased HB 997 on sale at GM, can not wait to install it... With the trailer under 2' of snow and boat on the lift who knows when I will be able to use it. I know the stripers are wondering where I have been ;-)

Ho Ho Ho! Happy Holidays all!

Squire,

I really don't see the networking as a big deal. As I understand it you can't really put the Lowrance SI ducer on the trolling motor. So the work around is sharing the ducer that is on the back. So I am now 20ft past everything I see. I have one on my trolling motor and I much prefer that.

As for speed, the Humminbird will work pretty much up to the point the ducer comes out of the water. The default settings work best at 3-5 but you can adjust the ping rate for faster speeds.

Both the systems are going to have their pluses and minuses.

Default More on side scan

Humminbird says the side scan will work up to 7 or 9 mph. My 997 works up just above 20mph and believe that is where it cavitates. Will test in new location on my next trip out.

Also, Humminbird is providing an upgrade to many units the middle of this month to Down Scan. I plan to install the upgrade, which is just software, will test and let you know how it goes.

Redman

Quote Originally Posted by redman View Post
    Humminbird says the side scan will work up to 7 or 9 mph. My 997 works up just above 20mph and believe that is where it cavitates. Will test in new location on my next trip out.

Also, Humminbird is providing an upgrade to many units the middle of this month to Down Scan. I plan to install the upgrade, which is just software, will test and let you know how it goes.

Redman
    Yeehaw, will get on the Humminbird site now and try and download the updates ;-)
    cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast