Thread: Fishing Hot Spots or Navionics for VA lakes/Potomac River?

Default Fishing Hot Spots or Navionics for VA lakes/Potomac River?

Guys:

I have an older Lowrance LMS 480 and it just has the base map in it. I want to get a new card to show some topo detail, but I am undecided on the Fishing Hot Spots card or the Navionics one. I am limited to a 1 gig card, so that does rule out some of the Navionics chips.

Do any of them show the Potomac?

Thanks for the help.

Jesse
    Thanks,
    Jesse

I don't know the answer - but I just got a Humminbird and figured on replacing my current GPS (with downloaded NOAA raster charts). Found out the hard way that the sales pitch on the website (showing bathymetry) is lousy advertising. Potomac has no navigation info at all from what I can tell. If you found an answer, I'd like to know. According to the Navionics FISH-E information that I can find - it doesn't include rivers... This really blows after spending $1,500!

My hot spots doesn't have the Potomac but it is a 2008 card

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

i have the same LMS-480 and got the Navionics Premium.

It does have the potomac on it.
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Dog Days Duel Overall Winner

My navionics which is older has the potomac on it.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

I have the '07 Navionics hot maps premium and it has the Potomac, but not the James, I was disappointed in that. It even has Lake Orange, but not the James, go figure.

My navionics ('07) has the potomac - or more than the base map in the GPS. I thought I read somewhere that there is a specific chip that is designed for tidal bodies of water that offer much more detail. My chip serves me much better on lakes than the river - although things like marina's bouy's etc do show up.....http://www.navionics.com/Charts_Classic.asp
    Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250

09 or 10 premium chip navionics has the potomac..
    </div>

When I got mine two years ago "Hot Spots Elite" did not cover tidal water, so I had to get the Navionics chip too. A bit of a pain to have to swap chips between the lakes and the rivers, but I am happy with the detail. FYI, Navionics is not exactly plug and play. I had to play with the settings to get the best detail. It covers a lot of areas - so you have to select the best one for the area you fish, and then you have to select whether you want roads, marinas, county boarders, etc. It took me a littly playing to get it the way I wanted. Good Luck.

kickerfish is correct, but with the newer units, at least the hds5's, you dont have to pic the area's for better detail, it loads them all... I called navionics and chatted with them about this.....
    </div>