Thread: Report 4/17/10 - Buggs Island

Default Report 4/17/10 - Buggs Island

I’ll start this post with a big THANK YOU to Brian (31airborne) for taking the time to talk to me on the phone the other night. He gave me some ideas on a couple areas, some colors to throw and what to do in navigating the lake safely without the GPS. He didn’t give it all up, but he certainly pointed me in the right direction and helped me make a few decisions more easily which 100% contributed to my success. So big thanks to 31.

I fished our April club tourney on Saturday at Buggs, and it ended up being my best tourney day which was a huge confidence booster for me after several poor outings previously in the year (ANNA SUX). This is only my 4th year fishing tournaments and this was the first time I fished out of my ‘new’ boat by myself and I was a little nervous going into the day. Strong winds were forecasted and I already knew how rough Buggs can get from time to time. I didn’t make a real long run to my first spot, but it was a couple miles up the main part of the lake.

I wanted to hit a couple points real quick off the start but the two main lake points I wanted to hit already had boats on them, so I headed off to the main area I wanted to focus on for the first half of the day. I started with about 10 casts with a buzz-bait, but it didn’t feel right, so I switched off to the Senko. On my 3rd cast I hooked up on a nice 3-1/2lber off the base of a big pine tree. I was only 10 minutes into the day and stoked at this point…definitely a few fist pumps for that one.

Fished around that pocket and saw a fish give himself up on an isolated bush and threw to it about 5-min later when I got there…another nice fish that I would estimate at 3-4lbs as well, but it got wrapped up on a tree, broke off, and I learned lesson #1 for the day. Don’t try and horse a fish with spinning gear – be patient. I should have just held it there and motored over to get it off, but I was still pretty jacked up from the first fish I caught just a few minutes prior.

The day continued and I was getting bit on the Senko often enough to stick with it and I caught several more fish in my 1st area and worked up to 4 total (with another 3lber) by about 11:30 when the winds really started rocking.

To be on the safe side navigationally, I decided to head back to Palmers/Keats around Noon to finish out the day. I continued with the same pattern and mixed the spinnerbait and crankbait in occasionally, but with no takers. Actually I lost a small keeper and a dink on each, but it didn’t hurt in the end. I did finish out my limit shortly after pulling into Palmers and then upgraded once to drop one of my fish that was less than 14”. I still needed one more bite to get rid of the other sub-14” fish and feel good about making any money.

About 3:30 I had my last bite of the day and referring back to my lesson learned, the fish bit with the bait up in some mess. I had to wait a good long 5-7 seconds for the thing to swim its way out, but when I set the hook I knew I had good one, and about 30 seconds later I got the 4lber safely in the net. Whew…that was fun.

I won the club tourney with a 14-1.5oz bag and took a few bucks home – So I was excited. The bad part is that I have to put the winnings toward the tire that I cut somewhere along the way and almost blew out.

Recap:
    Water Temps – 61-67
    Fish Caught: 2-5ft
    Clarity: 1-2 feet in first area, but up to 3-5 feet in Palmers

Congrats Erik. Brian, aka, 31Waterbourne, is great. He's help me appreciate why I joined this site and is someone I really enjoy spending a day on the water with. He will help anyone at anytime, and he'll wash your boat for you with some neat tricks as well...

Nice bag and way to represent the site! JayT even joined the stinko crowd this weekend!
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Congrats on the win, Erik.
    Jr.

Awesome job Erik! Way to make it happen on a tough day! Congratulations dude!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

nice job Erik. Congrats on the win and great bag! sux you had to catch them all on a stinko though...
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

you better thank them sankos jayt.... won you some loot! congrats erik
    Last edited by J.Cash; 04-20-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    </div>

Great post dude. Is that your basscat in the picture???
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

No, I have a Nitro NX882. Basscat would be nice...but not even close to fitting in my budget (yet).

Thanks.

Congrts Erik!! Good job!!! Maybe we can change change your mind about ANNA SUX sometime.:Yay:
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner

Proud of you, Erik!! Way to put it all together, dood.

Is my check in the mail yet?????