Thread: '04 Mercury 150 XR6 - Hard time starting late in the day.

Default '04 Mercury 150 XR6 - Hard time starting late in the day.

My big motor has been doing some funny things lately, and I don't know squat about outboards. I've had this boat since November, and only on the last three outings with a little warmer weather have I had these issues.

Iím having a hard time getting it started later in the day, and then when I do get it started it bogs down and sputters when I apply power to get on plane. Even when warm and if only stopped for 10-15 minutes. In contrast, when I pump the ball in the morning it gets hard on like 2-3 pumps and the motor pretty much cranks right up. Later in the day I canít get it hard, and the ball is just mush (I know, hahaha). Iíll choke it and pump the ball, but the motor will just turn and turn and then hesitantly get started as if itís not getting fuel, and then Iíll have the bog down feeling when I actually start to go. It will also idle real low until I've run it a bit longer. Once I get the RPMís up, it does just fine.

I've contacted the previous owner and he never had this happen so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Erik

If I remember correctly, "Dee Kidd" down at Anna Point Marine Sales was telling me about the Old X-R6's having that problem. You may want to contact him or Kenny at Aquia Mare Marine as he used to work on a lot of them. Hope this helps! Kenny's phone is 540-657-1136. The Hawgman

Contact Lee Sanderson @ Sanderson Marine they are in your area just south of Richmond in Chester Va. (804)7064100 or 1 888-261-7767. He is one of the best Mercury mechs. around the other as already recommended Kenny @ Mare in Stafford. You cannot go wrong with either one.

Rodney
    Last edited by GamblerPro2; 05-18-2010 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammer

I have a 1999 XR-6 and have the same problem. It has been getting steadily worse for the last 3 years and I have had it at 3 different dealers. Over the winter they put a new wiring harness on it beacause they said Mercury used an aftermarket harness which was too short. That didn't fix the problem, so I too i to Anna Point boat sales. They found it had a loose fly wheel. I had this replaced several years ago and the dealer that did it apparently forgot to put a lock washer on it. The motor runs much better since I got it back, but it's still not perfect. A friend of mine has a 1997 XR-6 and he needed new reeds. This is a frustrating motor for me.

Took it Sanderson Marine and they will be replacing the fuel line, primer ball and also spark plugs. In talking with my buddy that I bought the boat from, I'm willing to bet they are the original plugs at nearly 6 years old. Also, since the boat had been used very little over the last two years, I would have to assume there is some ethanol damage to the lines. Lee Sanderson also said there is a sort of fuel regulator (can remember his actual part term) that opens and closes based on temperatures. He said it's likely that that may be the cause as well, as it may be sticking open when warmer, and it should be closing off. Thus, I may be flooding the motor when trying to start. Sounds legit, as I do tend to smell a lot of gas when I'm cranking it in those situations.

We'll see when I get it back, but the only way for me to duplicate it is to spend a full day on the water...I wonder if my wife will buy that excuse???

If you were not getting enough spark in the combustion chamber, you would smell raw fuel anyways. Simply because it would not be igniting in the combustion chamber and escaping through the exhaust. It does sound like you maybe having a spark issue. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Took it Sanderson Marine and they will be replacing the fuel line, primer ball and also spark plugs. In talking with my buddy that I bought the boat from, I'm willing to bet they are the original plugs at nearly 6 years old. Also, since the boat had been used very little over the last two years, I would have to assume there is some ethanol damage to the lines. Lee Sanderson also said there is a sort of fuel regulator (can remember his actual part term) that opens and closes based on temperatures. He said it's likely that that may be the cause as well, as it may be sticking open when warmer, and it should be closing off. Thus, I may be flooding the motor when trying to start. Sounds legit, as I do tend to smell a lot of gas when I'm cranking it in those situations.

We'll see when I get it back, but the only way for me to duplicate it is to spend a full day on the water...I wonder if my wife will buy that excuse???
    I would buy that line, maybe she will also!!!:Titanic: If you get stuck, she can come get you. The Hawgman