Thread: 1997 evinrude 20 hp

Question 1997 evinrude 20 hp

I have a 1997 evinrude 20. the outboard is on a small 1985 basstracker-alluminum-15 ft. Im having trouble getting the boat the plane , or just break the 8 mph mark. The funny thing is that it only runs like this with two people in the boat. It runs superb and planes excellent when i am solo. Any suggestions?

sounds like it's the extra weight slowing it down not much you can really do to improve that other than maybe a planer board, or bigger Motor.
    Steve Sekula
    "Sempr"

I agree with Sempr. Sounds like the extra load is too much for the motor.

What are the seating positions of you and your partner?

If your partner is seated up front, it may be causing the bow to "plow" the water. If they are indeed seated up front, have them move to the rear or center to help transfer some of that weight.

both seats are in the rear of the boat. I ordered a new:Fishing: stabilzer yesterday. hopefully this helps. thanks for the advice.

I have an 8hp evinrude on my 12' jon, alone, believe it or not, I can hit 14-20mph depending on water conditions. When i carry an extra 110lbs in body weight i'm lucky to get to 10mph. second seat is up front though and makes a huge differance in speed, so much that i fish alone now!

I use to just tell my partner that his fat ass was cutting my high performance engine, but dad and I busted on each other all the time like that. Note don't do that with girl friend or wife lol
    2017 Ironman winner