Thread: Lake Anna White Bass??

Default Lake Anna White Bass??

Last weekend I was up at Pigeon run started all the way up by the rocks and work our way around to the structure near the old road bed. Then about 8am headed across creek to the area that someone has set up for skiing with buoys and a small jump. There were thousands of white bass there feeding on tens of thousands bugs hanging on those docks there. They would bite anything. They ranged in size from a large pan fish up to about 12 inches. My question to all you is are these really who might be familiar with that area, are these really white bass or something else? Itís as is they were stripper but in mini-bodyís, aggressive as all heck, and fun to catch, sharp scales on the body, shaped like a crappie, colored like a stripper but smaller mouth like a crappie. I looked at my chart and the only thing it seemed to compare too was the white bass.

:Fishing:If they had stripes they are white bass, if no stripes they are white perch. They are the same species. Check out the "Freshwater Fishing in Virginia" January 1- December 31, 2008 booklet put out by VaDGIF available at any place where they sell fishing license. See page 27 under "White Perch". (Quote: Identification: Not really a perch, but a member of the temperate bass family along with white and striped bass. Average 8 to 10 inches but reaches up to 2 lbs. Silver gray above, fading to silvery white below with no longitudinal lines. Has a deep notch between spiny dorsal and soft-rayed dorsal. No teeth on tongue.) Be careful as they have the same sharp gill plates as do stripers and white bass, they will cut you three ways; wide, deep and frequently. Hawgman:Fishing:

Yes, they were white bass, (they had the stripes). Fun to catch but easy, people say they are high quality to eat, didn't keep anything. It was the first time I had ever found a very large school of anything except the other normal suspects (sunfish, crappie, stripper - havent found one yet myself, carp or cats).

Last year we pulled two random fish which seemed to be something in the pike family (not a walleye I know what they look like). but they had alot of color, very sharp teeth, elongated jaw, very smooth scales??? any thoughts?

Yes These are chains~!!!!
    FISH-ON Giggity...

Sauger maybe, a member of the perch family, see page 28 VDGIF magazine, "Freshwater Fishing in Virginia". The "Walleye" is also a member of the perch family. Hawgman