Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fortrex or Terrova?

Default Fortrex or Terrova?

I am looking to upgrade my trolling motor for next year and want ot stick with MK. Any opinions on either the Fortrex or Terrova. I have never used the digital steering before that the Terrova uses. It seems like a neat concept. Whats your thoughts?

I didnt go the extra mile when I bought a new one but the digital steering that MK and Motorguide went to are great.

ccarter good luck on your trolling motor hunt. There are some real nice ones out there but the prices are out there allso. I just bought a MK Riptide ST and have not yet got it mounted on the boat, but I do think they have got most the bugs worked out of them. I did alot of reading/homework on them befor purchasing mine.

Just bought a Terrova w/i pilot. I am waiting on it to get here to mount. I was just in NY fishing the niagara river and my buddy has one on his guide boat. It was very quiet and easy to raise and lower. I have a MG wireless and it is noisy when the motor turns for direction. I love the remote , I can be anywhere on the boat and work the trolling motor. I fish alot at Lake Erie and Niagara River, I need the ablity to be anywhere on the boat . The Terrova w/i pilot has great features go to Minnkota web site to see video of operation.

Quote Originally Posted by RBOFishin View Post
    Just bought a Terrova w/i pilot. I am waiting on it to get here to mount. I was just in NY fishing the niagara river and my buddy has one on his guide boat. It was very quiet and easy to raise and lower. I have a MG wireless and it is noisy when the motor turns for direction. I love the remote , I can be anywhere on the boat and work the trolling motor. I fish alot at Lake Erie and Niagara River, I need the ablity to be anywhere on the boat . The Terrova w/i pilot has great features go to Minnkota web site to see video of operation.
    Did you see any issues with the steering response especially in high winds or wakes? With the cable system there is no lag but with a digital I wasn't so sure.

The response for the steering part is not as precise as I perfer. Sometimes at the bridge at 208 the signal beeps from interfernce and sometimes the motor would turn by itsself. Sometimes it overshoots a direction or sometimes doesn't stop at a point I want. So yes the cable would have more control by far. I run a Alumacraft Tournament Pro 195 CS and is a V-hull and need a 60" shaft for the front and I haven't seen a cable trolling motor that would work, but if you are running a bass boat I would use a cable trolling motor. The wireless has it adv and disav. I used mine for a 1year and figured out what i wanted in a trolling motor.

I have a Miinn Kota Riptide on my G3 and I would rather have the cable steer than electric. It is pretty precise with the pedal but it is a little noisy and the remote does not always work at times.

I have a Terrova with remote control and co-pilot on a pontoon boat. I've only had it since the spring, but I love it.

I've been back for forth on this issue and have the following opinion.

Background, I have a Minnekota Maxxum now on my 2005 Triton 21x, 109. I fish structure alot on lakes when I am not on the potomac, and love to run the riprap and such, especially on windy days when it is blowing into the bank and around points. The new GPS Trolling motors with trails and remotes would be great, as they have a "hold" mode where they will stay within 5 ft of a location. Powerpoles don't work in 20ft of water So, for Lake Anna, this is what I want.....

My buddy has one of the Terrova's on a 16ft Smoker Craft with the electric foot pedal and I HATE IT. He doesn't have the GPS or the remote control module. Now, I hear there is a nicer footpedal with the larger units that allows for better control. Also, using his is a pain to get it in the water and out of, as you just have a latch and you hand pull it up. Think of having 10lbs of Potomac Hydrilla wrapped out it and it becomes a pain...

So, my solution is that I need to see one of the so called nicer footpedals before I buy because his model's SUX...you are constantly turning in directions you don't want because of a slight variation in pressure. I don't have to look down when I use the mechanical one with wire that comes with the Fortrexx or the Maxxum.....

So, I am yet to pull the trigger, but that is what I know from my personal usage of both.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Yes sounds like most of what I read on line befor buying the motor I did. Last boat had the Mk Maxxam Pro cable steer foot control and it was great. But the new boat a Seafox a cable steer or foot control would not work for me. And from all that I read and was told over the phone was that the new MK ST were in a class of there own. Now in a few weeks I should be able to tell you, but I did buy it for fishing in salt water with tides not the lake. And yes Squire the power pole would have a problem in the lake for the most part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast