Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minnkota Talon

Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    ...I struggle to consider the costs of either...
    :Agree:

I like the features of both products. However, I'm not big on the remote hydraulic supply of the power pole (as Mike stated earlier). Also, with more "moving" parts, associated with the Power Pole, the chances are greater of a component failure.

As far as the Talon, I think Minn Kota is starting to figure out the shallow water anchor game. As stated above, the Talon is "suppose" to be, no taller, than the "Average" outboard. What's the "Average" outboard? 75, 115, 150, 225, 300? Having a boat with a smaller profile outboard, the talon (deployed or not) may propose issues for my co-angler. With the Power Pole, it is understood that it has a much larger profile when it's up in the resting position, which in turn, would cause an even larger issue for anyone attempting to utilize the rear deck.

As for the manual anchors. I like the concept and the price. But, trying to store an 8 foot anchoring pole on a 17 1/2 foot bass boat would cause some issues. For the guys that have the larger boats, this may not be an issue. But, for me, it would only add one more thing to trip over on my deck.

I believe that if I were to finally bite the bullet and get a shallow water anchoring system, it would be the Talon. Mainly for the features it offers over the Power Pole.

I never have used one and have fished all my days without one. If I ever wanted to set in one place I do carry an anchor, but to each there own if you have the $$$ to spend for the unessasary toys then have fun with that, and seriously I hope it works for you.
    2017 Ironman winner

yes angrywhiteboy I can see the problem with the room issue for most boats. And that is a big deal with all the other fishing equipment in the boat. Skeet1 you have a good point too. But in alot of the water that I'm fishing in Florida you would spoock most fish throwing a anchor and diving to free about 3/4 of the ones you throw over. And using just a trolling motor would last for about 3 hours in the tides that I'm fishing. So there are fishing conditions that you need more than a trolling motor or anchor if you plan on fishing and catching fish all day long.

Installed my Talon three weeks ago. (Nitro Z6). LOVE IT! even with one sleigh issue that came up (will explain). But first challenge was figuring out which bracket would work best. Ended up with a 9" between motor and transom. No one could recommend which bracket to get for my boat even Minn Koto. So finally had it installed. Strong bracket (don't watch the you tube of bracket flex, that bracket is no longer used). So like I said works great!! One Anna drawback is the soft bottom in the majority of the lake. even in 4" of water it will push that sucker another 4" down in the bottom!!! hence the first issue I had and new information i found out. So while in the cove over by the power plant crappie fishing with my son we had it deployed. IT GOT STUCK and could not even get it retracted with the manual operation. After a half hour of wiggling it to loosen it up up it comes with no anchor pole on it. So go back to Dukes pissed off, I call Minn Kota (awesome customer service) and they fed-ex a new pole kit (no charge) and tell me they have redesigned the grip on the pole kit which is now geared and stops the pole form loosening a key on the pole. 100% no BS customer service, lets fix you back up sir as fast as possible.
    VAO Points: 40
    VAO Standing: Tied for last place
    2010 cost per fish (est 2010 equipment cost / fish): $10,000.00
    2010 Fish Caught: 0 / 2010 Largest: 0

Default Stick It Anchor Pins

There was a guy selling Stick It Anchor Pins systems at the Richmond show. I thought it was quite interesting and the system had mounting brackets for the pins.

http://www.shop.stickitanchorpins.com/

I got one for my boat a few weeks back and it works great for 75.00. Should a have bought two. Just grab the T handle and pull it up no mess like pulling a standard anchor. I lay it on the deck right beside my rods. I have the 7ft model but they come in longer lengths. I'll buy another one by next spring and that boat will not move when the wind switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 4-5 View Post
    I got one for my boat a few weeks back and it works great for 75.00. Should a have bought two. Just grab the T handle and pull it up no mess like pulling a standard anchor. I lay it on the deck right beside my rods. I have the 7ft model but they come in longer lengths. I'll buy another one by next spring and that boat will not move when the wind switches.
    Fish 4-5, I'd like to take a look at it Friday at the "weekly". See you then. 7 foot, that should be great in almost all areas of the creek.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12