Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnkota Talon

Default Minnkota Talon

I just read a review on the new Minnkota Talon. Looks like a good product. I'm thinking about getting one instead of a Powerpole. If anyone has any comments about the Talon versus the Powerpole please let me know.

Since I am in the market for 1 or 2 of these things, I would appreciate comments as well. One DRAWBACK to the Talon, after watching the youtube marketing video's is that the frame stays up when deployed.. The co-angler will always have 2 high posts basically blocking roll casts and such. The powerpole doesn't have this problem.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

the power pole does not have that problem when deployed in deep water. Also there are alot of times when you wont use it and then you will be in the way, esp if you have 2. so its a balance you have to strike. i would wager that minn kota come out with a mount like a troller to hold thing thing. but it looks like it would only take 2 minutes to remove if not needed, unlike the power pole. the other factor to consider is the hydro resovior for the power pole. if it ever leakes it will be a mess, and dont forget to factor in the 30 to 40 lbs of extra weight for each pole .

my experience with the power pole is it holds well when over a hard bottom, but if over mud the boat will slowly just drag along not holding in one postion.
    mike c

maybe others have had better experiences with them, and good for them, me im gonna wait a touch longer before i dump 1k or more on an anchor.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Good points mike. The powerpole has a soft bottom attachment so help solve that problem, but the Talon does easily disconnect from what they say, probably just remove 2 bolts on the insert plate that goes to the jackplate (plus unplug the electrical connection)...to be honest, I think they still have some problems to resolve and I wish one of them would solve them....namely easy disconnect/laydown like Mike mentions and wishful thinking, a bow mounted version
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Have y'all thought about a manual power pole. Wang makes a real nice one and it's only about $250.00. I have been on many boats fishing down south with auto power poles and they are great.And I was going to install one on my boat. But last trip south I was on a boat fishing that had a Wang anchoring pole on it and it worked great. Better than any of the auto poles and is out of the way when not in use. I'm going to install one on my boat.

i made my own version of the wang power pole. it works.. but i have this issue with sitting in one location to long, in other words, i stand on my pedal at 50% and almost never stop when on the river unless its to circle back.
    mike c

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

I watched the videos on the Talon also. I thought the same thing that the pole stays in the upright position, but after looking at it closer the pole is no higher than the actual motor. So I guess that would eliminate the issue a little.

what is a wang pole? i will google it next. I have a home made cajun anchor. it's a 5/8" stl stl pole 6' long with a pointed end on one side and a hole on the other side to attach a rope. it works great in a soft bottom and you can tie it to any cleat on the boat. i have only used it in florida and on the riva when in windy conditions and had one small area i wanted to fish hard.

Careful on google searches for wang pole Bryan - might be more than you bargained for

I struggle to consider the costs of either...

Yes Bryan I think Striper is right. But I can tell you Wang is the way to go. Not wang pole.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast