Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a new Cranking Battery

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos 283 FS View Post
    If I'm spending your money, go with the Optima, if it's my money, I'd probably go with the Everstart. I'm having trouble with an Everstart that I bought this spring, need to return it. I bought 2 trolling motor batteries, after a day fishing one is dead, the other isn't. They both take a full charge, but after sitting a few weeks, one looses about half of it's charge.
    I took my bad battery to Wal Mart today. He said it was too dead to test so he had to charge it for an hour. After wasting an hour at Wally World, guess what, it was bad. He said they have had a lot of problems with them and have changed suppliers. He gave me a new one, no charge.

Default 5 Batterys

Now that's a lot of battery. When my batteries are in good shape they have lasted the whole day. Not sure I could get on plane with 5. I do carry jumper cables just in case I need to get started from the TM batteries.
    Stopped by Wally world yesterday to see what they have and the girl in there said the everstart are not for marine use and they would not warranty them if in a boat. Not to sure she new what she was talking about. Something about they would not take the pounding. The key is getting a battery with enough cold cranking amps for the opti.
    Apparently they don't run well if the battery is week after starting from what I've been told. I would think the alternator would put out plenty of amps but maybe not.

All the new chargers, onboard and not, have smart management systems where they vary the charge rate. If you fish a lot of rough water, like the Potomac River, I would suggest the AGM or Gel type batteries. AGM (Optima) are nice in that they are rechargeable with the older chargers. I have wasted untold amounts of money due to batteries getting wasted due to Marina's not plugging the boats in when they put them on a rack (used to keep my bass boat in a boatel), leaving a switch on when you put the boat up (I bought my boat 1 year old from Roland Martin, so the master off switch is not wired to have everything go thru it), etc. I now have a 4 bank charger installed that handles all the battery types dynamically from pro-mariner. I think the key to battery life is keeping them charged (duh) and even the cranking battery does not always get fully recharged after a day on the river frog fishing with 2 livewells and 3 ff's running, and very little running. So when I would put the boat up at night, yes, there was enough charge to start it again, but it wasn't fully charged and the 3 bank charger didn't help it out at all.

So, keep the batteries charged and they will work longer and ultimately, you will save yourself on the water headaches. That is my plan anyway...
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    All the new chargers, onboard and not, have smart management systems where they vary the charge rate. If you fish a lot of rough water, like the Potomac River, I would suggest the AGM or Gel type batteries. AGM (Optima) are nice in that they are rechargeable with the older chargers. I have wasted untold amounts of money due to batteries getting wasted due to Marina's not plugging the boats in when they put them on a rack (used to keep my bass boat in a boatel), leaving a switch on when you put the boat up (I bought my boat 1 year old from Roland Martin, so the master off switch is not wired to have everything go thru it), etc. I now have a 4 bank charger installed that handles all the battery types dynamically from pro-mariner. I think the key to battery life is keeping them charged (duh) and even the cranking battery does not always get fully recharged after a day on the river frog fishing with 2 livewells and 3 ff's running, and very little running. So when I would put the boat up at night, yes, there was enough charge to start it again, but it wasn't fully charged and the 3 bank charger didn't help it out at all.

So, keep the batteries charged and they will work longer and ultimately, you will save yourself on the water headaches. That is my plan anyway...
    :Agree:"Been-There-Done-That" and agree with Squire, replace it with a D31M "Optima" problem solved!!! Just replaced all three of mine, cost "$721.00". I have used those two days in tournaments without charging them. The cranking battery gets all the abuse of live wells, bilge pumps, electronics and accessories. The D31M has 1125 CCA @ 32degrees F. 850CCA @ "0" degrees F. Some advice: Advance Auto Parts will match or beat the lowest price you can find and $229.00 each @ B.P.S. was what I found, with taxes mine came to $721.00 for three. Just about any modern quality charger today will accept the A.G.M. type batteries with no problem. They are heavy @ about 69 pounds each and will fit in most large battery boxes. They are warranted for three years and prorated after that. If Advance Auto Parts does not have them they can get them in about three days. Good luck, the Hawgman

Quote Originally Posted by Fish 4-5 View Post
    the girl in there said the everstart are not for marine use and they would not warranty them if in a boat. Not to sure she new what she was talking about..
    They told me the same thing, but I argued that it says 18 month on the side of it, it should be warrantied for that long. They replaced it, no questions asked, and I even had it in my boat when I took it back. I think it can vary store to store. The Optima's are a lot better battery, but it was easier to explain two $85 batteries to the Mrs. than two $240 Optima's.

Just make sure its a duel purpose deep cycle/cranking battery. If its just a cranking battery you WILL have problems if you are using it for any other purpose other than cranking IE; electronice and pumps. And that will be true no matter what the battery is made of IE; wet cell, AGM and Gel etc
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12