Thread: how big is the spot

Default how big is the spot

with a 510 c unit with the stock 200 khz skimmer td how big is the spot i'm seeing in 20' of water?

CHUCK n DUCK

The general rule of thumb is your cone (20 degree assumption) is about 1/3 your depth for 200kHz and 2/3 for 83kHz.

So for your example the cone will be just shy of 7 feet.
    2010 VAO Fling Before Spring Overall Winner

2010 LAPR/VAO 150 Series Champion
    Walmart BFL All-American Qualifier

so basically that is like the front casting deck on my boat - that is a hard concept to get a grip on.

CHUCK n DUCK

Believe the 7 ft Mark is refering to would be the radius from the ducer-you will get a bigger cone angle by switching to 50KHZ- pg 62 or you can split screen(50khz on left/ 200 on right) pg 76
    http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowra...-451_120406.pd
    Crank That Jank!

Wayne is right. If you switch to a 50 or 83 kHz (depending on which your graph supports) you widen the cone angle making the coverage area bigger. For instance for my graph (200/83 kHz) with the 200 I'm seeing 7ft. and with the 83 I'm seeing around 14' of the bottom when in 20' of water.

Hope this makes sense.

Default it makes sense

mine goes 50/200 - i finally eliminated the tm interference. I can get a decent reading now. We saw all kinds of stuff but no arches yet. we tried it at shenandoah today. water was 38 wind was cranking up through there. there was a few boats there - noone caught a thing. but i am getting the hang of the ff. now i got to dial it in so i can see the line and bait. i have done that a few times before but more luck than anything.

thanks guys

got to dial the color in also - i want the hard bottom yellow - we were on mud bottom all day so i havent got that dialed in yet

CHUCK n DUCK

Hey Bill how deep is the Shen. River were you guys fish?

A few tips on "seeing the bait" on the graph.

I suggest turning off the auto sensitivity setting and adjusting as need be in the manual mode. Also, slow down your chart speed since most times you are not moving very much with the trolling motor. You should play with it to get it set to the speed you are moving. If I'm vertical fishing I slow mine down to about 50%. With your sensitivity high and your chart speed in this range you should be able to drop the bait below your tansducer and watch in in real time as it falls/jigs. I call this "video game fishing" since you can literally watch the bait fall to the fish below as if it were a video game. This is really helpful with vertical jigging and drop shotting.
    Also, remember for a perfect arch to appear the boat (or fish) must be moving and the fish should pass in the center of the cone. It takes a combination of boat speed, setup and fish movement to make a beautiful arch. If the fish is off to the side of the cone the arch will not be as pronounced. And lastly, if the fish is stationary directly beneath the cone and there is no relative movement in either it will be displayed as a flat line on your screen (as will your bait if you hold it in one place).

Default working on it

thanks Mark I am learning more everytime I go out. I never used to mess with it just used it as a depth finder.

Brian where we fish it goes from 2-3 feet to 18-20 depending where you are in the channel. most of it ave. about 6 - 8 but there are some deep holes. water was 38 to 41. we didnt catch any and noone else did either. there was about 6 boats out. water is low and clear - could see bottom in 10' if you were out of wind.

CHUCK n DUCK