Thread: Catfishing on the James River

Default Catfishing on the James River

Its been a pretty winter and life is about to get pretty good - the shad are on the move. They are here but in light numbers but it wont be long before the shad and herring run is full on.

The last few weeks have seen 65 - 75 pound catfish on the James River weighed in - still time to catch some hogs. But be ready for the catfish and striper once the shad and herring get screaming.

I will be hitting the James and Chickahominy Rivers when it all hits and give up on the green fish for a few weeks to show you guys a little something different (hopefully) - stay tuned!

I am putting together a whole resource for catfishing on the James River for those interested in trying it - it will focus on ramps, locations, gear, baits etc - I will include a link to it when its finished.

I'm game to participate on either river, if you are looking to double the chances. Let me know if I can help out at all.

Always wanted to take son down there for some big cats but don't know where to go. Know how, though not sure how my heavy tackle will hold up to a 60-70 pounder.
    2017 Ironman winner

Hey Carl - the James River is a great place - it usually is some heavier gear and using like 80# braid. Its always good to roll with someone for a trip or two thats been out or take a guide, but its usually something that if you ask enough questions with you can pick it up pretty quick.

Here is the link for the Catfishing on the James River resource - I am adding stuff on a regular basis so cehck back frequently.

Sounds great, I know absolutely nothing about the James. Would like to get enough info. to make a good trip..