Thread: Lake Gaston Fishing Report - Past weekend

Default Lake Gaston Fishing Report - Past weekend

Fished a club tourny at Gaston on sat. Bite was slow. We launched in poplar creek at 7:30. We didnt get our first bite until 11. After our first bite we caught 8. Nothing big. 10 pounds won the tourny and we had 7.5. I threw the spinnerbait about 2000 times and never had a hit. I didnt catch any fish around docks. I started catching fish in creeks where the water temp hit 5. Caught all my fish on a shakey head around stumps back in creeks. Over all it was a good day. Dad and I got up to fish sunday and it was 34 and raining so we headed home.

man thats rough. I am headed down that way on April 14th, 15th, and 16th. I would have thought the water temps would be higher than 50? Keep us posted if yo get back out and thanks for posting Josh.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Default Gaston

Fished Mr Bass Sat/Sun and was able to find 58 degree water in a couple creeks. The very backs of the creeks was dirty and warmer, and the mouths were cleaner and cooler. Shaky head was the lure of choice for us, but we only boated four keepers for two days. We caught a bunch of bank runners. All fish were close to a dock or stump, and none were under the docks. Tough cold weekend. I am ready for spring.

Your right. The back of creeks where the water warmed up is where they hit. It was a tough weekend. I'm looking foward to fishing smith mountain in 2 weeks for our club tourny.