Thread: Claytor, 5 JUN 2011

Default Claytor, 5 JUN 2011

Got a little stir crazy w/ the move so I hooked up the Rocket and went down to Claytor for a few hours. Was shocked to see only two trailers in the lot when I arrived.

Put in at the state park. Saw 77.5 degrees at lauinch w/ clear water (>5' viz). Warmest water was about midlake (79.4). Saw 77 degrees above the bridge with stained water <2' viz. Lotsa debris and trash in the main channel everywhere.

Motored up lake (away from the dam) w/ no real plan in mind. Just wanted to get out and check things out. First couple stops were on main lake points w/ docks close by. Managed a decent topwater bite (popper) that first hour or so. No size to any of them, but any topwater action is always fun. When that died off I switched to a jig and wacky rigged plastics, targetting rock and wood. Took a bit to find them but after about 30 mins or so I dialed them in. SM were holding along first breaks near rock about 10-20 yards back from main lake points (into creeks/coves/cuts). The LM were further back, holding on the shade side of laydowns and brush. Had a couple of keeps - one each SM and LM - but the rest were knotheads. The LM was a chunk - 14.5" and fat fat.

Observations: 1) There is submerged wood and brush all over this little lake. Every creek, cove, and cut has something in it. Definitely a heavy line setting. 2) Fish were stacked up in small pods, holding right on the breaks. They were feeding actively. Just had to hit the sweet spot where the pod was holding. 3) Big rock was better than small rock, natural rock was much better than riprap. 4) Bigger logs were better. Key was to cast to both ends and the center section. Took several casts sometimes. Just had to be thorough. 5) Baitfish were holding deep over main and creek channels. No feeding activity observed. 6) Channel swings were key (again). All points held fish but those next to swings held active fish. 7) Still found a few places w/ healthy grass, in spite of VDGIF's attempts ot kill it off.

This is a cool little lake but it doesn't take much to make it crowded. The narrow main channel and steep bluffs cause the wakes to bounce back and forth. Once the rec bubbas come out there is no peace. Nice having it close by for those quick trips.

peace,
    B

Good report B. I'll bring kermit for some of that grass.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

If you live close by Claytor, you should really check out the Eggleston area on the New River. Smallmouth fishing in this area is sickening. You can wade or get a jonboat and float a one mile section. Just a change of pace and excellent to do after work.

I am close and will hit the river soon. Thanks for the tips!!