Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your own fish structures

Default Making your own fish structures

So Gmans question about brush piles got me thinking about some winter time projects so I hit the internet looking to see what others did - here are some of those ideas

80lb bag of concrete - Makes 7 blocks
    100' roll of 1/2" irrigation tubing - Makes 4 fish attracting structures
    Costs roughly $4-6 per finished fish attracting structure

Last edited by Striper; 12-16-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Other ideas

Fill with concrete

Made from PVC - anchor to bottom

Default Thanks..........

That's cool stuff - lot less pine needles in the boat....
    Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250

this is the response i got from john odenkirk, take it for what its worth.

il still be putting some in at my favorite lake

"Technically - you need a permit from VMRC and the USACOE (called a "joint permit" - some activities are covered under blanket "Nationwide Permits") to put any "fill" (pretty much covers everything) in any State water (pretty much everything but private ponds). I think Dominion may also have some criteria about fish reefs, so you may want to check with George O'Connell at Dominion (sorry, but I do not have his number - should be able to find it on their web site). Many people just go ahead and add brush around their docks and such, and there are no issues; but I cannot tell you that you are OK to do it..."

Good point Mike - these are just ideas for structure but be sure to have the proper permits/permission

Ok guys...........here's the skinny on the fish habs. Took the advice from g3Mike and John Odenkirk and called George O'Connell over at the plant. He told me that it is OK to place fish habs, Christmas trees ,etc. on a small scale. Not a large scale like McCotter used to do with his yearly Berkley Fish Hab placement. A few here and few there............that kind of thing. He said also to use "common sense" when placing them. IE...Not in a boat traffic lane so as to damage a boat,boater, jet skier, etc. or close to ones private dock or property. Hope this helps.:Juggle:

thats awesome, so I have about a dozen trees that i want to sink in a spot. but there are only going to be three people that will know, me, my buddy thats going to help me, and one other person already knows where im going to put them. I just gotta find the time to get out there and do it.

I'm going to have to make me a couple of these to put in a buddy's pond that is loaded with bass but they really have no structure in the water..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast