Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoke plots

Default Spoke plots

I leave old wheat cover in place and plant spokes to the stand. They have a sense of security coming thru the left over and lots of shooting lanes.

The probability of an adverse event increases in direct proportion to your lack of preparation for it. Carry your weapon.

They feed in toward the blind from the tree line. Let's me use my crossbow at close range.
    The probability of an adverse event increases in direct proportion to your lack of preparation for it. Carry your weapon.

I've used corn and milo like that, works very well for getting them to step out for a shot. Gotta make em feel cozy!
    Food Plot Services http://www.bioplots.com/

Buy my mineral blends online http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

So, help me out here, dood. What's the diff between baiting (illegal) and planting/scattering deer-specific food w/ the intent of drawing them in for an easier kill (legal)? Not a legal question. It's moral. Not a loaded question. Just wanna know.

It's all about the law. No baiting Sept. 1 to Jan 1. That means blocks/whole corn Deer Cane etc.. Food or supplement placed for attracting deer.

A food plot is any type of planting done in an ag process.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 09-07-2011 at 04:28 PM.

I do oats down a strip, brasscis down another, sugar beets, short wheat, turnips, cow peas, and shot plot in the timber. They like it all! Some does not come into play until after the 1st frost and it turns to sugar.

The primary difference is that bait is only used during the season, food plots offer nutrition throughout the year. A wheat, clover, or brassica plot will help get deer through the entire winter. Soybeans can offer outstanding winter nutrition in addition to the ultimate summer forage. The right blend of clovers offers high quality forage almost year round.

Corn piles disappear pretty fast after closing day where baiting is legal and offer almost no nutritional value. Baiting only enables kills, food plots provide for a much longer period, including periods of increased stress such as late winter.
    Food Plot Services http://www.bioplots.com/

Buy my mineral blends online http://bioplots.com/Mineral_supplement_deer.php

Also, there is the theory that baiting/feeding deer leads to Chronic Wasting Disease. That is why it is outlawed in Frederick and Shenandoah counties year round. During the colder hunting season, there is a shortage of availiable natural food. The collection of deer around bait would be heavier and therefore, CWD. Haha- at least that is the theory.

Agreed that's a the theory. NC. SC, and even MI allow "baiting" during season and they don't have CWD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast