Thread: Status Report

Default Status Report

Hey all,

I have a small club tournament out of LSP this Saturday. Unfortunately I figure the recent heavy rains will have pretyy much trashed the river.

I'm just looking for a visual report on what you guys see up there for the conditions as you drive by/over or get on the water in the next two days.

How muddy, how high, any floaters?

Just want to know what to expect come Saturday morning and also let the other guys know as well.

Thanks.

I live on Potomac creek so I'll post on here late friday night and let you know whats going on. As of right now it looks great, would loved to have skipped work and blasted them on a black frog
    Catching largemouth on frogs is like finding the last beer in the fridge.rink:

Hey E, from past experience if the area received the rain we did here, you will have plenty of floaters in the triangle formed by LSP, Occoquan and Mattawoman.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

I drove across the American leagion toady, it's very high and muddy

Mike Forsht 4:53pm Sep 8
    Fish for the Cure Update: Just got off the phone with Capt Steve Chaconas. The river is muddy and has debris in it, but Steve said "It is no different than any other rain storm". He feels if you are coming above Doque creek you will have to pay real good attention, but as Steve said "The river is navigable with caution". Fish for the Cure tournament will continue as scheduled with a request to be cautionous when navigating the main stem.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

went by Hope Springs tonight after dinner and the water is at the top of the docks. LOTS of water in there and very muddy. Serious runoff down the ramp too....

Erik,
    I was at Leesv. Park this evening and the water was at the very top of the rock jetties. In other wards, the water right now is a good two feet high but very fishable. Your main concern will be objects in the water. Be very careful as all objects in the water don't float on the surface!! Go slow to your spots and you should be ok. Good luck and be safe.
    Rob

I dont know if this will affect you or not: Its from WTOP (link at the bottom)

Avoid the Potomac River because of raw sewage

People are warned to stay away from the Potomac River, particularly near the rocks at Great Falls and the Chain Bridge.

Heavy rains have resulted in the D.C. sewer system overflowing into local waterways including the Potomac. D.C. Water engineers estimate about 250 million gallons of sewer overflow including raw sewage have been released into local waterways this week.

Due to these hazardous swim conditions, organizers of the 2011 Nation's Triathlon have canceled the swim portion of Sunday's event. There will be a 40K bike and 10K run only.

The National Park Service warns hikers to avoid the C&O canal for the next few days. Campgrounds along the tow path, the overlook on the Maryland side of Great Falls and the Billy Goat Trail have all been closed.

Fletcher's Boat House just north of the Key Bridge has canceled rentals due to the threat of lightning.

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=41&sid=2534211

Thanks for the update on fish 4 a cure...